Journal of Geo-information Science ›› 2018, Vol. 20 ›› Issue (9): 1316-1326.doi: 10.12082/DQXXKX.2018.170121

Previous Articles     Next Articles

Modeling the Spatial Distribution of XCO2 with High Accuracy Based on OCO-2's Observations

ZHANG Lili1,3,4(), ZHAO Mingwei2, ZHAO Na3,4, YUE Tianxiang3,4,*()   

  1. 1. Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101
    2. Chuzhou University, Chuzhou 239000
    3. Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research,Beijing 100101
    4.University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100049
  • Received:2017-03-29 Revised:2018-06-21 Online:2018-09-25 Published:2018-09-25
  • Contact: YUE Tianxiang E-mail:zhangll@lreis.ac.cn;yue@lreis.ac.cn
  • Supported by:
    National Natural Science Foundation of China, No.41590844;National Natural Science Foundation of China, No.41421001.

Abstract:

In this study, high accuracy surface modeling (HASM) is used to simulate the spatial distribution of XCO2 with high accuracy in a wild range of regions based on OCO-2 satellite's observations. Firstly, we discussed and analyzed the feasibility of HASM simulation of the spatial distribution of XCO2 observed by OCO-2 satellite. For the OCO-2's XCO2 from September 2014 to August 2015, 90% of each month's XCO2 data were randomly selected as the input of spatial interpolation and the remaining 10% were used to verify the result of spatial interpolation.The results show that the mean absolute error of 12 months is 0.34 ppm. Therefore, HASM is suitable for simulating the spatial distribution of XCO2 observed by OCO-2 satellite. Then we use HASM to simulate monthly XCO2 distribution at the spatial resolution of 0.5°×0.5° based on OCO-2's observations from September 2014 to August 2015. Simultaneously, the corresponding TCCON (Total Carbon Column Observing Network) observations are used to verify HASM's simulations. The result shows that the mean absolute error between HASM simulations and TCCON observations is 0.81 ppm and the correlation coefficient between them is 0.88. Therefore, HASM has great advantages in simulating the spatial distribution of XCO2 observed by OCO-2 satellite.

Key words: OCO-2, high accuracy surface modeling, spatial distribution of XCO2, spatial interpolation, TCCON