Auto-Classification of Geomorphological Types Based on DLG and DEM for Fujian Province

  • Institute of Geography, Fujian Normal University, Fuzhou 350007, China

Received date: 2012-09-20

  Revised date: 2012-12-10

  Online published: 2013-02-25


Base on Digital Line Graphic (DLG) at 1:100,000 scale and Digital Elevation Model (DEM: 30×30 m resolution), firstly, the geomorphological types of Fujian Province can be divided into two basic types according to the two main combinational indicators slope and area: shallow-slope region and hill-mountain (steep-slope) region. Secondly, the elevational points that contours the river system in DLG are extracted by ArcGIS software. On this basis, the relative reference surface of Fujian Province is constructed through spacial interpolation method. Thirdly, geomorphological entities in steep-slope region are divided into taper units with the method of watershed hydrological model. Finally, according to the 1:1,000,000 Geomorphological Mapping Specification for China, combining the geomorphological characteristics of Fujian Province, and overlaying the above-mentioned geomorphological entities and relative reference surface of Fujian Province respectively, the geomorphological entities of Fujian Province can be divided into six types, i.e., plain, platform, low relief hill, high relief hill, low relief mountain and intermediate relief mountain. The result shows: among geomorphological types of Fujian Province, hill accounts for 34.1%, mountain accounts for 51.8%, both together account for 85.9%, and plain, flat and platform together account for only 13.1%. The result is basically identical to that by traditional manual mapping. The methods developed in this article are corresponding to traditional classification system of geomorphology for Fujian, and can automatically classify the geomorphological entities fast and well, such as the shallow-slope region and hill-mountain region, plain and platform, which are feasible according to precision and efficiency, saving manpower, material resources and financial resources greatly, and offering a new thinking and methodology for domestic and international similar researches.

Cite this article

CHEN Jia-Bing, LI Hui, CHEN Wen-Hui, ZHENG Da-Xian . Auto-Classification of Geomorphological Types Based on DLG and DEM for Fujian Province[J]. Journal of Geo-information Science, 2013 , 15(1) : 75 -80 . DOI: 10.3724/SP.J.1047.2013.00075


[1] 斯皮里顿诺夫 A N. 地貌制图学[M].北京:地质出版社,1956.

[2] 沈玉昌.中国地貌的类型与区划问题的商榷[J].中国第四纪研究,1958,1(1):33-41.

[3] 中国自然区划工作委员会.中国地貌区划(初稿)[M].北京:科学出版社,1959.

[4] Cheng W M, Zhou C H, Li B Y, et al. Structure and contents of layered classification system of digital geomorphology for China[J]. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2011,21(5):771-790.

[5] Hammond E H. Analysis of properties in landform geography: An application to broad-scale landform mapping[J]. Annals of Association of American Geographers, 1964(54):11-19.

[6] Dikau R, Brabb E E, Mark R M. Landform classification of New Mexico by computer[M]. U. S. Geological Survey, 1991.

[7] Brabyn L. GIS analysis of macro landform[M]. // SIRC, The 10th Colloquium of the Spatial Information Research Centre. New Zealand:University of Otago,1998,35-48.

[8] Morgan J M, Lesh A M. Developing landform maps using ESRI's ModelBuilder [C]. ESRI User Conference 2005 Proceedings., 2005.

[9] Dragut L, Blaschke T. Automated classification of landform elements using object-based image analysis[J]. Geomorphology. 2006(81):330-344.

[10] Prima O D A, Echigo A, Yokoyama R, et al. Supervised landform classification of Northeast Honshu from DEM-derived thematic maps[J]. Geomorphology, 2006(78):373-386.

[11] Iwahashi J, Pike R J. Automated classifications of topography from DEMs by an unsupervised nested-means algorithm and a three-part geometric signature[J]. Geomorphology, 2007(86):409-440.

[12] 朱红春,陈楠民,刘海英,等.自1:10000比例尺DEM提取地形起伏度——以陕北黄土高原的实验为例[J].测绘科学,2005,30(4):86-88.

[13] 刘爱利,汤国安.中国地貌基本形态DEM的自动划分研究[J].地球信息科学,2006,8(4):8-14.

[14] 郎玲玲,程维明,朱启疆,等.多尺度DEM提取地势起伏度的对比分析——以福建低山丘陵区为例[J].地球信息科学,2007,9(6):1-8.

[15] 程维明,周成虎,柴慧霞,等.中国陆地地貌基本形态类型定量提取与分析[J].地球信息科学学报,2009,11(6):725-736.

[16] 曹伟超,陶和平,孔博,等.基于DEM数据分割的西南地区地貌形态自动识别研究[J].中国水土保持,2011(3):38-41.

[17] 曹伟超,陶和平,孔博,等.利用最佳地形特征空间进行地貌形态自动识别[J].武汉大学学报(信息科学版),2011,36(11):1376-1380.

[18] 韦金丽,王国波,凌子燕.基于高分辨率DEM的地形特征提取与分析[J].测绘与空间地理信息,2012,35(1):33-36.

[19] 汪禹芹,李艳,刘爱利.基于面向对象思想的中国地貌形态类型划分[J].遥感信息,2012(1):13-18.

[20] 马士彬,安裕伦.基于ASTER GDEM数据喀斯特区域地貌类型划分与分析[J].地理科学,2012,32(3):368-373.

[21] 肖飞,张百平,凌峰,等.基于DEM的地貌实体单元自动提取方法[J].地理研究,2008,27(2):459-466.

[22] 陈加兵,励惠国,郑达贤,等.基于DEM的福建省小流域划分研究[J].地球信息科学,2007,9(2):74-77,95.

[23] 中国科学院地理科学与资源研究所.中国1:1 000 000地貌制图规范[S].北京:科学出版社,1987.

[24] 张寒龙.福建省自然地图集[M].福州:福建省地图出版社,2000.